Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pirates 4 Trailer: Rebooting

I am indifferent about the whole "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. The first one was an instant classic, a movie I could go back to once in a while and still enjoy it like the first time I saw it in the theaters. It was great and promising. You figure with Johnny Depp on board, Kiera Knightley, Geoffrey Rush and Orlando Bloom to support, and the man behind the camera being Gore Verbinski, that It would be an unstoppable box office force, and it was. But somewhere in that process the quality of the movies just became so ridiculously poor. The second one had great special effects but it wasn't anything memorable and the third one was just god awful. After seeing that one I said to myself, "Thats it, its over, keep it as a trilogy and dont make it any worse than its turned out to be." Well just recently Disney released a trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides.


I have pretty high expectations for this movie. To me it looks like a reboot in a series of films and well if they keep deciding to make more Pirates films then I would have to say this is a good idea. For the most part the key players are back. Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow and Geoffrey Rush as Hector Barbossa but they've cut out Keira Knightley for Penelope Cruz and completely got rid of Orlando Bloom (thank god). So there will be none of that stupid love story subplot anymore.


The part that fascinates me the most about this trailer is the plot. It seems like they are on the hunt for the fountain of youth (Ponce De Leon thought it was in Florida. LOL). I think this is a great idea. There is so much folklore behind it and I cant wait to see how they elaborate on it. 


So the trailer looks promising and with the new trailer we are introduced to a new villian. Blackbeard, who is played by the ever so awesome Ian McShane. If you are looking for an archetypal bad guy they picked the best person. McShane is most known for being the foul mouthed owner of the Gem Saloon, Mr Al Swearengen, on the HBO tv series "Deadwood". The dude is known for being such a nasty villain so I am super happy to see that he's going to be in a big production movie. In my opinion the "Pirates" series always chose the right villains. Geoffrey Rush was a mean, but hilarious villain in the first, and Bill Nighy was just the guy you hated. I think having McShane as Blackbeard will suprass Nighy's, snark, almost pretentious personality of Davy Jones.


The first film gave you the idea and excitement for greater sequels. But like most trilogies or sequels they rarely match up or surpass the success of the first. Disney probably got the idea that in order to save this series they need something new and fresh to keep its appeal to the viewers and from watching the trailer it seems like they have the right idea. I hope it turns out to be good because I personally loved the idea of the series and with this "reboot" they can still save it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment